History

Two young men with strong desire to be entrepreneurs, Launo Laakkonen and Erkki Nykvist, founded a manufacturing workshop in a small and dark cellar in Helsinki in 1953.  The location was called the Junk Pit and the company was named as Teräs- ja Metallityöt Oy. The first own products were school gymnastics equipment and various kinds of transport devices. However, the superfluous syllables were soon dropped from the name and Temet was born.

Experiences from the recent war put a lot of pressure on the Government to rearrange the Civil Defence concept of Finland. This led to a new Civil Defence law being passed in the Parliament in October 1958. The new law regulated the building of Civil Defence shelters in Finland. Temet participated as a shelter equipment supplier from the very beginning. As the demand for the other product groups fell, the success of Civil Defence shelter equipment grew strongly. By 1963, Temet was an expert company totally focusing on special equipment for shelters.

Strong technology and product development driven by the newly established Finnish system opened the pathway for Temet to the international civilian and military shelter market in the early 1970’s. Exports began with the Swedish market and extended to the Middle East, South East Asia and the United States over the next four decades.

Today, Temet is a leading company for blast protection, CBRN filtration and ventilation technology for shelters, protective structures and industrial applications worldwide. The total number of personnel within Temet is 80 and the turnover for year 2014 was 20 million euros.